Just spreadin' the good karma.....

It's all about the good karma..

Tuesday, August 03, 2004

I love comics.

I hate people who have this stereotyped view of comics as "stuff" read by kids, airheads, etc., or that comics just won't convey a specific message on a certain level as a regular book will, fuck that. There's just this "stigma" that bothers me that "people who read stuff with pictures, need those pictures to visualize the story, or something..". Fuck that shiyet.

I love comics and the way that it (comics) as a medium, is able to associate drawings with words -- to tell a story. Or something.

So there. I'd love to do my part for spreading the word about the joy, enlightenment, great shit, strong fucking story lines, orgasms, erections, education, etc. people can get from comics. Reading comics. I know I'll have my son, or daughter read comics, and I'm thankful that I grew up in a family that has "dug" comics as a medium by which you can actually learn something (well minus my lola who torched all my tito's comics when he was a kid just because he spent so much time marveling at the art of Spider-man, Action comics, etc.). I pity the children who grew up shunning comics just because their parents told them it just ain't worth shelling out a few more pesos for something that comes out once a month and something that has pictures and words of superheroes, or something. I love book ha, don't get me wrong, but fuck the stereotyped views. Fuck that. I know comics now, is breaking through barriers of IT being considered "literature", but I just want to wake up to a world wherein everyone reads comics!!! And everyone loves comics! Or something. Maybe I'm like this because I know that the added readers will eventually help the industry flourish and all that, but still, I guess I'd just love for comics to be as common as the daily newspaper, or the TV for that matter. Maybe that's why I feel soo good whenever I see a comic book finally being recognized by "non-fan-boys", recently too when comics are actually being made into movies (well some of the movies just fuck-up the comic, still, the exposure is pretty OK). Hmmm..or maybe, I'm like this just because I want other people to feel that "tingle" you get when Jesse Custer from the Preacher commands someone to do some crazy shit Garth Ennis thought of. So yeah. I LOVE COMICS, and I think you, whoever you are, should try it out too.

Though I have to warn you that I HATE how comics just makes me so goddamn flat broke...Just like when I splurged a significant amount of my savings on these:


2 Comments:

Have you seen American Splendor? Jason and I just watched the movie last night. It was very good. His comics have been compiled into an anthology graphic novel, too.
Hey ate. Wow, you got to watch American Splendor na, it hasn't shown here yet so, yeah, I'm still waiting for it. I've seen snippets of the movie and some trailers on cable though.

Add a comment